Q: "Having trouble logging into my son's Apple account. Gives message 'Apple ID is not active'. Started a few days ago. Was working fine before that. Get the same message if I try to reset password." – from Apple Community
Some iPhone users reported that they encounter a prompt alerting "This Apple ID is not active", and they cannot fix it even though they tried to reset their password and enter the new one. Basically, this message always gets along with "Verification Failed", which indicates that the inactive Apple ID fails to be verified. When you get into this error, all the services based on your Apple account are unreachable. To know why is your Apple ID not active and how to fix "Verification Failed. This Apple ID is not active", continue to read this article.
- Part 1. What Does "This Apple ID Is Not Active" Mean
- Part 2. Why Is My Apple ID Not Active
- Part 3. How to Fix Apple ID Is Not Active
- Method 1: Check Apple System Status
- Method 2: Reset Apple ID Password
- Method 3: Force Restart Device
- Method 4: Unlock Apple ID with Unlocker
- Method 5: Contact Apple Support
- Part 4. FAQs about Active Apple ID
- Part 5. Conclusion
Part 1. What Does "This Apple ID Is Not Active" Mean
The "Verification Failed This Apple ID is not active" message means that your Apple ID is disabled and cannot be verified due to different reasons, for example, you enter multiple wrong passwords or answer the security questions incorrectly too many times when you are signing in or signing out of Apple ID. When you see this notice, Apple will lock your account to protect your security from hacking and as a result, your Apple ID becomes unavailable and you can't access any Apple services.
Part 2. Why Is My Apple ID Not Active
There are various reasons causing the error “This Apple ID is not active", and the main causes are listed below. If you enter multiple incorrect Apple ID passwords too many times, Apple locks your Apple ID and "Verification Failed. This Apple ID is not active" occurs.
- If there is something wrong with your Apple payment information, Apple will fail to verify your identity.
- One of the reasons why this Apple ID is not active is that the security questions are answered mistakenly when you try to reset your Apple ID password.
- If the original owner of your second-hand iPhone didn't sign out of iCloud, you may see an inactive Apple ID error.
- In rare cases, you may be in violation of the User Terms and Conditions of Apple, and Apple may disable your account and make it inactive.
- You are in poor Internet condition or the services related to Apple ID are temporarily unavailable.
Part 3. How to Fix This Apple ID Is Not Active
Method 1: Check Apple System Status
Occasionally, the Apple server needs maintenance. If you receive the warning under this circumstance, there is a great possibility that your Apple ID could not be recovered in a short time. To troubleshoot it, go to the Apple System Status page, and check if there is a green spot in the front of the Apple ID option. Besides, the status of iCloud and the series functions of iCloud could be checked by the way.
Method 2: Reset Apple ID Password
As mentioned by the user who came up with "This Apple ID is not active", resetting the Apple ID password is a worthy way to try. If your account has not been used for a long time or the information has expired, a new password could allow you to reenter. You can reset password on Settings and on any browser.
- Reset Apple ID Password on Settings
- Step 1: On your iPhone or iPad, open Settings and tap your Apple ID.
- Step 2: Select Password & Security, hit the Change Password option
- Step 3: Enter your screen lock passcode to create a new Apple account password. Then, you could re-sign in with the new password.
- Reset Apple ID Password on Browser
- Change Apple ID Password on Apple ID Page
- Step 1: Go to appleid.apple.com and sign in with your Apple ID.
- Step 2: Enter the verification code if it asked.
- Step 3: Select the Sign-In and Security section and choose Password.
- Step 4: Enter your current password, then your new password, then verify it by typing it again.
- Reset Apple ID Password on iForgot Page
- Step 1: If you want to reset Apple ID password when forgot it, you can visit iforgot.apple.com.
- Step 2: Type in your Apple ID and click on Continue.
- Step 3: Complete your phone number and click the Continue button.
- Step 4: Choose a way to receive the notification.
- Step 5: Verify your identity with the message sent to you and set up a new Apple ID password.
Method 3: Force Restart Device
A universal method to fix Apple ID issues, including "this Apple ID is not active", is to force restart your device. Unlike simple reboot, this operation will give your device a deep and thorough refreshment, so that the unknowing glitches could be cleaned.
- iPhone 8 and later/iPad without a Home button: quickly press the Volume Up button → quickly press the Volume Down button → press and hold the Side/Top button → release until the Apple logo occurs
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: press and hold the Volume Down button and the Side button → release them until you see the Apple logo
- iPhone 6 and earlier/iPad with a Home button: press and hold the Side/Top button and the Home button → release both of them when the Apple logo appears
Method 4: Unlock Apple ID with Unlocker
"This Apple ID is not active" error emerges because of a faulty password. If the new password is unworkable, you may consider unlocking your Apple ID by using a remover. Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker can be qualified to remove your Apple account in any situation and it makes an assurance to reserve your data for good. All the problems related to Apple ID verfication are able to be solved with the assistance of Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker, like Apple ID verfication keeps popping up, verfication required on App Store, etc. Besides Apple ID, this software allows you to unlock the screen lock, turn off the Screen Time passcode and bypass MDM restrictions. The worries about compatibility, security and success rate could be eliminated with Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker.
Step 1 Connect to Computer and Enter Unlock Apple ID Section
Connect your iPhone or iPad to your PC or Mac, run Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker and select Unlock Apple ID. Then, click the Start button to move to the next page.
Step 2 Check the Status of Find My
If the Find My feature is disabled on your device, you could click the right arrow and do the next step. However, if it is enabled, you need to confirm that the screen lock and the two-factor authentication are enabled as well. After clicking on the Yes button, you can continue to unlock your Apple ID.
Step 3 Remove Inactive Apple ID
Click the Start button and you will be guided to the Unlock interface. Here you are required to examine your device's details, and you could download the firmware package. Once the verification completes, click the Unlock button to remove your inactive Apple ID.
Method 5: Contact Apple Support
In case all the foregoing methods are unhelpful to leave you out of "This Apple ID is not active", you could consider contacting Apple Support to fix this error. It is available to chat with the serviceman online to describe your problem in detail. Or, you can go to the local Apple Store and ask for help.
Part 4. FAQs about Active Apple ID
Q1: Is it possible to remove inactive Apple IDs?
A: Yes, you could remove your inactive Apple account by temporarily deactivating or directly deleting your Apple ID in Apple's Data and Privacy website. After signing in, you need to locate the Delete/Deactivate your account section, click the link at the bottom of the page displaying Request to delete/deactivate your account, and complete the whole process following the instructions.
Q2: How to reactive Apple ID?
A: If your Apple ID cannot be activated due to an incorrect password or other security issue, you can contact Apple Support and provide some pertinent information that will verify your identity, and they will reactivate your Apple ID. If you temporarily deactivated your Apple ID on your own, you can reactivate it yourself on the Data and Privacy page. If you choose to delete your Apple ID, you'll only have the opportunity to reactivate your Apple ID within 7 days of requesting deletion.
Part 5. Conclusion
This Apple ID is not active? I believe that you have gotten all the information you want to know about this pop-up after reading this post. It explains the meaning of it and the reasons why it appears. Most importantly, 5 feasible workarounds are provided. It is recommended that you follow these solutions in order until you get rid of the annoying message and put your Apple ID into a normal state. Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker is the one that helps you remove the faulty Apple ID without data loss. When the issue you meet is too severe to be settled with the listed methods, you must go to the Apple Store asking for assistance.