Q: "In the settings screen, in the section iTunes and App Store, I see that I am logged in with Apple ID 'XXX'. In the App Store, when I want to update an app, it asks for the password belonging to Apple ID 'YYY'. This last Apple ID was the Apple ID from the previous owner, before resetting it to factory settings. How can I forcefully re-login in the App Store?" – from Apple Community
When you are planning to download or update apps in App Store, it requests the password of your Apple ID, especially when you purchase an app. However, some users report that App Store asks for wrong Apple ID. In fact, this error always occurs on second-hand Apple devices. If the original owner didn't sign out of his account, you will see wrong Apple ID in App Store. Another occasion is when you lend your iPhone or iPad to someone else, they use their own Apple ID to download or purchase an app. Ordinarily, you could log out of the wrong Apple ID with password to fix this issue. Or, you need to find a way to remove the incorrect account without password.
- Part 1. Try Workarounds for Wrong Apple ID in App Store
- Workaround 1: Sign Out of Wrong Apple ID in App Store
- Workaround 2: Log Out of Incorrect Apple ID from Settings
- Workaround 3: Delete Apps Linked to Wrong Apple ID
- Workaround 4: Use iTunes to Remove Wrong Apple ID
- Workaround 5: Erase Device via iCloud/ Find My
- Part 2. Ultimate Solution: Remove Wrong Apple ID without Password
- Part 3. The Bottom Line
Part 1. Try Workarounds for Wrong Apple ID in App Store
Workaround 1: Sign Out of Wrong Apple ID in App Store
If App Store uses wrong Apple ID, you can simply log out of the incorrect account in App Store, which is the first thing you need to do if you know the password of the wrong Apple account.
- Step 1: Go to Settings and scroll to the iTunes & App Stores option.
- Step 2: Tap the Apple ID section at the top of the screen which might be the wrong account.
- Step 3: Choose Sign Out on the prompt, and enter the password of the wrong Apple ID.
- Step 4: After signing out, tap the Sign In tab and enter your own Apple ID. Then, you can download and purchase apps as usual.
Workaround 2: Log Out of Incorrect Apple ID from Settings
In case changing the Apple ID in App Store cannot thoroughly fix the wrong Apple ID issue, you can go further to check whether the account that logged into Settings is correct or not. If it is wrong as well, you need to sign out of it so as to remove the wrong Apple ID in App Store. Or, even if it shows your own account, you could also try to re-sign in.
- Step 1: Open the Settings app on your device whose operating system is up to date.
- Step 2: Tap the Apple ID and scroll to the bottom Sign Out option.
- Step 3: Enter the corresponding password to confirm to sign out.
- Step 4: Sign in with your account by tapping the Sign In option on Settings.
Workaround 3: Delete Apps Linked to Wrong Apple ID
As some apps on your iPhone or iPad are downloaded or purchased using the wrong Apple ID, when there is an update to them, you will be asked to enter the password of the wrong Apple ID in order to download it. To solve this problem, you could choose not to update apps or directly uninstall them. After deleting those apps, you can reinstall them with your own account. Just hold the app icon you need to delete on the home screen, tap on the Remove App option, and hit the Delete App option. Then, go to App Store to redownload it.
Workaround 4: Use iTunes to Remove Wrong Apple ID
The foregoing methods suggest you sign out of the wrong Apple ID using the matching password which is only available when you can contact the owner of the wrong account. What should you do if you have no way to get the password of the wrong Apple ID in App Store? If you have disabled the Find My feature on your iPhone or iPad, iTunes could be a helper to restore your device so as to remove the incorrect Apple ID.
- Step 1: Launch the latest version of iTunes on your computer and connect your device to it.
- Step 2: Unlock your iPhone or iPad and trust the computer.
- Step 3: From the top menu, hit the device icon once it is successfully detected.
- Step 4: Click on Back Up Now if you haven't made a backup.
- Step 5: Click the Restore iPhone (iPad) button and wait for your device to restart.
Workaround 5: Erase Device via iCloud/ Find My
Erasing all the data on your device is the principle of removing the wrong Apple ID in App Store. Apart from iTunes, you are able to use iCloud and the Find My app to achieve this. Note that not only the Find My feature should be turned on but also the wrong Apple ID and password are needed. Below are steps to remove wrong Apple account with iCloud.
- Step 1: Go to icloud.com and sign in with the wrong Apple ID.
- Step 2: Enter the verification code if prompted.
- Step 3: Select the Apple ID section and look for the Find Devices link.
- Step 4: Click on All Devices, and choose your target device from the drop-down list.
- Step 5: Hit the Remove from Account option. If it doesn't show up, click Erase iPhone (iPad) first and then completely remove the wrong Apple ID from the device.
Part 2. Ultimate Solution: Remove Wrong Apple ID without Password
It is annoying for users who can't get the password of the wrong Apple ID. Fortunately, Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker is able to remove the incorrect Apple ID without requiring the password, particularly when iTunes is unavailable to erase iPhone or iPad. This program could be used to unlock Apple ID with no data loss when the Find My feature is disabled. You can apply Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker to remove wrong Apple ID on iPhone, iPad, and iPod. It supports all versions of iOS system and requires a few technical skills. Also, this software helps you unlock all types of screen locks with 4 steps. Screen Time passcode and MDM restriction can be removed in a few minutes with the assistance of Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker.
Step 1 Select Unlock Apple ID and Plug Device
Install and run Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker on your computer and select the Unlock Apple ID section on the main screen. Plug your iPhone or iPad into the computer and click on Start.
Step 2 Check Find My or Other Requirements
If the Find My feature has been enabled on your device, you can enter the next step to remove wrong Apple ID without data loss. On the contrary, you need to check and confirm that the screen passcode has been set up and the two-factor authentication has been turned on.
Step 3 Start to Remove Wrong Apple ID in App Store
After making sure that your device information is correct, click the Unlock button to start removing the incorrect Apple ID from your device. When your device restarts, the wrong Apple ID in App Store is successfully removed.
Part 3. The Bottom Line
After reading this article, you could get to know how to fix wrong Apple ID in App Store. For users who are able to contact the owner of the wrong Apple ID, it is available to take advantage of the password to sign out of the incorrect Apple ID and disassociate it from the device through the Settings app or the iCloud webpage. For users who can't get the password of the wrong Apple account, it is advisable to use iTunes or Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker to remove the wrong Apple ID. If you have other problems related to Apple ID, leave your comment below.