Q:"Can I record a .wav file?" - From MacRumors
Have you stumbled across a great WAV file online, but can't download it locally or don't want to pay for a subscription to keep it? Not surprisingly, as the user mentioned above, how to record WAV file on Mac is a problem that needs to be addressed. But actually, it's not a very complicated project. Not only the built-in QuickTime Player come from Mac but also some third-party audio recording tools can be your good assistants. Follow us to explore possible solutions and you'll get what you want pleasingly.
- Part 1. Joyoshare VidiKit
- Part 2. QuickTime Player
- Part 3. Leawo Music Recorder
- Part 4. Garageband
- Part 5. EaseUS RecExperts
- Part 6. FAQs about WAV Recording
Part 1. How to Record a WAV File on Mac - Joyoshare VidiKit
With Joyoshare VidiKit - Screen Recorder, you can get a professional recording, as it provides multiple functions for you to enhance your final audio and video. It gets sounds from microphone and system, then saving them to popular formats, such as WAV, MP3, FLAC, AAC, WMA, OGG, etc. More than that, you can schedule your recording task to protect your valuable time. ID3 tag editing is also available. You have the freedom to use shortcuts during recording, facilitating your recording process.
- Function to edit ID3 tag
- Preview recordings before saving files
- Record WAV files on Windows and Mac
- Trim your recordings as you want
- Schedule WAV recording task to save time
Step 1 Run Joyoshare VidiKit
Tap the program icon of Joyoshare VidiKit on your Mac device to launch it after installation. Hit Record - Screen Recorder to activate its features. Switch to Record audio recording mode.
Note: Joyoshare VidiKit also developed a dedicated Audio Recorder under Record section to let you quickly record WAV, which even ideally detects mute files, applies sound effects and edits audio with equalizer.
Step 2 Check Audio and Recording Settings
If you want to record your WAV file alongside a video, you need to turn on system audio and microphone using their respective icons. Press the gear "Options" on the bottom right to select your WAV as output format and set parameters in the way you like. You can also customize watermark, scheduled recording time, and cursor display, among others, as illustrated below.
Step 3 Start to Record a WAV File on Mac
Go where your WAV file is, play it on Mac and tap the 'REC' button on the top right of the interface to start recording. You can use the pause button to avoid the unwanted bits of the file being recorded, or cut to make it small pieces.
Step 4 Save Recordings
With a simple click on "Stop" button, Joyoshare VidiKit will save your recorded files under the History. You can access tand edit them there to meet your preferences.
Part 2. How to Record a WAV File on Mac - QuickTime Player
The built-in QuickTime Player for Mac features a simple user interface to let you record quick voice notes, conversations, sound effects with ease. It then saves the recorded files as lightweight M4A files. That said, you should convert the recorded M4A files into WAV format after recording.
- Step 1: Tap QuickTime player on your Mac to open it.
- Step 2: Click on the 'New Audio Recording' option under the 'File' menu.
- Step 3: Hit the start button (red button) to record audio from the inbuilt microphone.
- Step 4: Click the same button to stop recording when done.
- Step 5: Save the recorded M4A file under the File section.
Note: you will need to convert the recorded M4A files into WAV files using the inbuilt application. The following four steps will help you convert your recorded M4A files into WAV files without affecting the sound quality.
- Step 1: Open the music app on your Mac, go to Preferences, and then Files.
- Step 2: Tap the Import option.
- Step 3: Pick the format you wish to convert your recordings into and click OK to save the new settings.
- Step 4: Select the song you want to convert, then click File - Convert - Create.
Part 3. Record a WAV File on Mac - Leawo Music Recorder
Leawo Music Recorder is a paid recording app for Mac. It can allow you to record files in different formats, including WAV, FLAC, and MP3, among others. It can also work with various audio like computer audio, microphone audio, and online audio. To use Leawo Music Recorder for recording, you need to download and install the software on your Mac. Note, the software is compatible with Mac OS 10.6 and later. Follow the instructions below after installing the recording software.
- Step 1: Tap the microphone icon and select Audio Source in the pop-up dialog box. Here, you can either select 'Record Audio Input' or 'Record Computer Audio' as indicated below.
- Step 2: On Leawo Music Recorder, select Preferences - Format. Choose your preferred format from the available options.
- Step 3: Go to Preferences, then general to pick your output directory.
- Step 4: On the main interface, press the start button to record the WAV file on Mac.
- Step 5: Go to the Library and then All Recordings. Right-click on your recorded WAV files and choose edit tags. This will allow you to edit the artist, title, date, etc.
Part 4. How to Record WAV Files on Mac - Garageband
Garageband is an all-around WAV recorder for Mac with various sounds like guitar, distortion, piano, reverb, and echo, among others. Apart from recording WAV, the software can support other music formats like AIFF and MIDI. Moreover, Garageband can export audio to AIFF, MP4, and MP3. This software is available online for free download. But, you will have to pay a service fee of $ 4.99 for every instrument or sound effect you decide to use.
- Step 1: Install and launch Garageband in your Mac.
- Step 2: Choose a sound effect from the various options on the user interface.
- Step 3: Select the microphone you would like to use. To do so, click Garageband - Preferences - Menu to change the microphone.
- Step 4: Select the track you would like to record and the recording voice you wish to use.
- Step 5: Press the recording button (red button) to start recording.
- Step 6: Locate the recorded WAV file in the Library to play it.
Part 5. Record a WAV File on Mac - EaseUS RecExperts
EaseUS RecExperts for Mac is an excellent tool for capturing WAV files on your Mac device. This software can help you record YouTube audio, internet radio, streaming video, and sound from external devices. It also can be an iOS screen recording software and decent video capture. The recordings it creates can be saved and exported to MP4, GIF, M4A and more.
- Step 1: Launch the EaseUS RecExperts for Mac on your device and choose Audio on the main interface.
- Step 2: Hit the microphone icon to choose the audio option you want to record.
- Step 3: Tap the Record button to start recording.
- Step 4: Press the circle with a red square button to stop recording.
- Step 5: This will save the file in the form of an M4A file. You can select the file in the Library and right-click it to convert it to a WAV file.
FAQs about Recording WAV Files on Mac:
1 Is there another way to record and save WAV on Mac without downloading?
If you have an iPhone and still would like to save your recorded WAV files on Mac, you can get one more free way to do that. Just record WAV using Voice Memo on iPhone and then easily AirDrop it to your Mac computer.
2 How to record WAV file online?
This is actually a simple thing. As long as you search in Google, you can find lots of free online voice recorder. Any one of them can help record WAV file quickly. Therefore, choose it for yourself if you have a good network and don't think pop-up ad is a problem.
3 How to record WAV on Mac with external microphone?
Sometimes, it's needed to record audio, including WAV, on Mac using an external microphone. However, QuickTime usually sets its built-in microphone to capture sound by default. To switch it, you have to go to "System Preferences" > "Sound" > "Input". Then choose external microphone that you've connected on Mac via USB or the one with its own seperate audio interface. Go back to QuickTime and you can now record with the external one.
The above are five ways to record WAV file on Mac. Before investing in them, you need to research the quality of their WAV files to avoid regrets. Sure, there is no need to go for if the pre-installed QuickTime is enough for you. However, if you are worried about which tool to use on your device, we suggest Joyoshare VidiKit. In addition to recording the uncompressed audio format in high quality, this program will allow you to capture an on-screen video of any activity with no time limit and no loss in FPS.