If you want to downgrade your iOS system or jailbreak your iPhone, you will be required to put your iPhone into DFU mode. However, some users find it difficult to enter DFU mode and even iPhone won't go into DFU mode. The reason why iPhone fails to enter DFU mode could be wrong operations or system bugs. To fix this issue and help you successfully put iPhone into DFU mode, this article provides 5 workarounds and shows them in detail. Now try to operate them one by one and step by step.
- Workaround 1: Operate Correctly to Enter DFU Mode
- Workaround 2: Hard Reset iPhone
- Workaround 3. Update to the Latest iOS 17
- Workaround 4. Fix iOS System Issues If Fail to Enter DFU Mode
- Workaround 5. Try the Recovery Mode Instead (Video Guide)
Workaround 1: Operate Correctly to Enter DFU Mode
As the steps to enter DFU mode are not very easy, the most common reason for iPhone won't go into DFU mode could be improper operations. The slightest mistake will lead to failure, thus, follow the detailed steps below and try again to put your iPhone into DFU mode.
iPhone 8 to iPhone 14 series:
- Step 1: Connect your iPhone to computer and run iTunes.
- Step 2: Press Volume Up and release it, and do the same to Volume Down.
- Step 3: Hold the Side button. When the screen goes black, press the Side and Volume Down buttons.
- Step 4: After 5 seconds, release the Side button but keep holding Volume Down for 10 seconds.
- Step 5: When a prompt reminds you that "iTunes has detected an iPhone in DFU mode", you successfully enter the DFU mode.
iPhone 7 and 7 Plus:
- Step 1: Launch iTunes and plug iPhone into computer.
- Step 2: Hold the Power button and the Volume Down button for 5 seconds.
- Step 3: Release the Power button and still press the Volume Down button for 10 seconds.
- Step 4: When the screen is darkened, iTunes will detect your iPhone in DFU mode.
iPhone 6 and former:
- Step 1: Open iTunes after connecting your iPhone to the computer.
- Step 2: Simultaneously hold the Home and Power buttons for 5 seconds.
- Step 3: Undo the Power button but continue holding the Home button.
- Step 4: 10 seconds later, your iPhone will be detected in DFU mode.
Workaround 2: Hard Reset iPhone
If you ensure that the operations you put your device into DFU mode are flawless, it's time to consider that there are system bugs on your iPhone. The quickest way to get over them is to force restart your iPhone to refresh the system. Here is how.
- iPhone 8 and later: quickly press and release Volume Up, followed by Volume Down, hold the Side button, and release it when you see the Apple logo.
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: long-press the Power and Volume Down buttons, and once the Apple logo appears, release them.
- iPhone 6 and earlier: hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time, and release them until the Apple logo occurs.
Workaround 3. Update to the Latest iOS 17
As there are some glitches on the outdated iOS system, it might trigger your iPhone failing to go into DFU mode. In this situation, you are suggested to update your iPhone to the latest iOS version and try to enter DFU mode again. On the Settings app, tap General, choose Software Update, and hit the Download and Install button. When the newest system software is installed and your iPhone gets restarted, follow the correct methods to put your iPhone into DFU mode.
Workaround 4. Fix iOS System Issues If Fail to Enter DFU Mode
For more complex system errors that lead to entering DFU mode failure, Joyoshare UltFix is the one you could choose to fix these problems. It is a professional system recovery tool that is specifically designed for iOS system. More than iPhone won't go into DFU mode, Joyoshare UltFix is able to fix over 150 kinds of iOS system issues, including iPhone in recovery mode not detected by iTunes. Besides, this program offers other powerful services, containing resetting iOS devices, downgrading and upgrading iOS system, and using one click to enter or exit recovery mode for free. All models of iPhone, iPad, iPod and tvOS are supported to be repaired in standard repair mode without data loss.
Step 1 Enter iOS System Repair Section and Connect iPhone
Go to the Joyoshare official website and install Joyoshare UltFix on your computer. Connect your iPhone to the computer, choose the iOS System Repair section on the main interface and hit the Start button.
Step 2 Select Standard Repair Mode
Choose the standard repair mode. If your iPhone is successfully recognized, you could move to the next steps. If it fails to be detected, you need to follow the on-screen instructions to put your iPhone into DFU mode or recovery mode. As your iPhone won't go into DFU mode, you could click the bottom link to see how to enter recovery mode.
Step 3 Download and Verify Firmware Package
Check your device information and click on the Download button to get the matching firmware package downloaded and verified.
Step 4 Fix iPhone Won't Go into DFU Mode
When the firmware package is verified, click the Repair button on the next screen to unzip the firmware. Once the Finish button appears, your iPhone will restart without any problem.
Workaround 5. Try the Recovery Mode Instead (Video Guide)
In most cases, recovery mode has the same function and effect as DFU mode. Hence, when your iPhone won't enter DFU mode, try to put it into recovery mode, which possesses the much easier steps. Do as follows.
- iPhone 8 and later: Run iTunes and plug iPhone into computer. Press Volume Up and release it, press and release Volume Down, hold the Side button and release it until the recovery mode screen occurs.
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: Open iTunes and connect iPhone to it. Hold the Sleep button and Volume Down button simultaneously, and release them when the recovery mode screen shows up.
- iPhone 6 and former: Launch iTunes and use a USB cable to plug iPhone into computer. Long-press the Home and Sleep buttons, and undo them when you see the recovery mode screen.
If you still feel it hard to enter recovery mode or your iPhone won't go into recovery mode, you could take advantage of Joyoshare UltFix to enter recovery mode with one simple click for free. Here is a video guide on how you apply this feature.
If your iPhone won't go into DFU mode, the first thing you need to ensure is that you have used the correct method to put your iPhone into DFU mode. After ruling out the possibility of wrong operations, you may consider that the culprit is the system errors. This article gives you 3 ways to fix the system problems. Among them, Joyoshare UltFix is the most effective one, which will thoroughly unroot the iOS system issues without losing your data. Alternatively, you could put your iPhone into recovery mode instead of entering DFU mode. Joyoshare UltFix offers a free channel helping you click once to achieve this.