Q:"I urgently need to unlock a disable iPhone X. It is said that using iTunes is the simplest method to bypass iPhone passcode. But I hardly know how to operate. I used to work with Android device. How do I unlock iPhone with iTunes? Any help?" – From Apple Community
What often happens to iOS users, like mentioned above, is forgetting passcode. You will, not surprisingly, try and fail a lot, thereby lock your device. If you are thrown into this trouble, iPhone can be unavailable or disabled with a passcode-protected screen. It is recommended that you connect your iPhone to iTunes for restoring. This is always the easiest way to remove all settings together with your passcode. As for how to unlock iPhone with iTunes, you'll find the answer in this detailed post.
- Part 1. Unlock iPhone with iTunes on a Trusted Computer
- Part 2. Unlock iPhone with iTunes in Recovery Mode
- Part 3. Alternative Ways to Unlock iPhone without iTunes
- Method 1. Erase iPhone Wirelessly (iOS 15.2 and later)
- Method 2. Erase iPhone Remotely (iCloud)
- Method 3. Use Joyoshare iPhone Unlocker
- Part 4. How to Make a Backup of iPhone before Restoring
Part 1. How to Unlock iPhone with iTunes [Video Tutorial Included]
When you are locked out of your iPhone with no available passcode to enter, confirm whether you have synced iPhone with iTunes. If you have connected your device and trusted computer before, then you can directly unlock it using iTunes. The process is quite easy and you can check it as follows:
Step 1. To begin with, open iTunes and use an original USB cable to connect your iPhone with the trusted computer.
Step 2. When iTunes successfully detects the device, click the iPhone icon and then choose the Summary option.
Step 3. Then you can back up your iPhone data to the computer and choose Back Up Now under "Backups".
Step 4. After backup, click the "Restore iPhone..." option to confirm the action.
This way allows you to back up data before restoring iPhone, so you needn't worry about data loss. When the device restoration completes, only remember to click "Restore Backup" to recover all data to your iPhone. In addition, you can watch the video below to unlock disabled iPhone with iTunes step by step.
Part 2. Unlock iPhone with iTunes in Recovery Mode
Your iPhone is locked but it has been not synced with iTunes. On this occasion, if you directly connect your iPhone to iTunes for restoring it, you will be required to enter the passcode to trust your computer. Obviously, it doesn't work. Therefore, you need to first put your iPhone into recovery mode and then connect it to iTunes for restoring. This method works well with the same result and you can refer to the instructions below.
- Step 1. Manually turn off your iPhone and then boot it into recovery mode using the method below:
- iPhone 8 or later, including iPhone SE (2nd generation): Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Then do the same procedure to press and release with Volume Down button. Next, press and hold the Side button until the recovery mode logo appears.
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both Top/Side and Volume Down buttons simultaneously until you the recovery mode screen shows on device.
- iPhone 6s or earlier, including iPhone SE (1st generation): Press and hold both Home and Top/Side buttons at the same time. If you see the recovery mode screen, then release two buttons.
- Step 2. Then plug your iPhone to the computer and launch iTunes.
- Step 3. iTunes will pop up a window to ask if you want to either update iPhone or restore iPhone. For unlocking iPhone passcode, choose Restore and wait for the process to finish.
Part 3. How to Unlock Disabled iPhone without iTunes in 3 Ways
After knowing how to unlock iPhone with iTunes in two different situations, next will introduce how to unlock a disabled iPhone without iTunes. In this part, we will show how to unlock iPhone by using iCloud or an iPhone passcode unlocker. Also, you can erase your iPhone wirelessly and restore it to factory settings for removing the screen passcode.
Method 1 Erase iPhone Wirelessly
Recently, with the update of iOS 15.2, a new feature that you can erase your iPhone wirelessly debuted. If you have entered the wrong passcode many times, then you can choose to erase the iPhone. After erasing the data on the iPhone, you can reset your iPhone without passcode. Mare sure that your device has been updated to the latest iOS version then start to reset your device.
Step 1. When you've entered your passcode incorrectly too many times, find the Erase iPhone button in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
Step 2. Tap Erase iPhone to erase all content and settings on your iPhone, including the passcode.
Step 3. To continue, tap Erase iPhone again, and then enter your Apple ID password when prompted.
Step 4. Then the process of erasing your iPhone will begin. Once it's been erased, the Hello screen will appear and go to set up your iPhone.
Method 2 Erase iPhone Remotely
Although using iTunes is the simplest method to unlock a locked iPhone, sometimes it cuts no ice. In this instance, using iCloud is a decent solution if Find My is enabled on your iPhone. In Find My iPhone on iCloud.com, you can erase your iPhone remotely, thus your iPhone screen passcode will be removed. Here's how to do.
Step 1. On your computer or another iOS devices, get into www.icloud.com and log into your iCloud account with Apple ID and password.
Step 2. Then head to select the Find My iPhone option and choose All Devices from this option.
Step 3. After that, a list of devices associated with this Apple ID are displayed. You need to choose your locked iPhone.
Step 4. Click it and a small window will be presented with you. Simply clicking Erasing iPhone in this window can unlock your iPhone.
Method 3 Use Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker
Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker is a professional yet easy-to-operate iOS unlocking program that is compatible with both Windows and Mac computer. With powerful techniques, it is in a position to deal with 4 types of screen iPhone locks, including frequently-used 4-digit passcode and 6-digit passcode, as well as more intelligent Touch ID and Face ID. More than that, it can be applied to many different situations. Whether your iPhone is blocked due to forgotten passcode or with broken screen prevents you from typing passcode to access, this software can be of great assistance to you. In accidentally, its wide compatibility makes it well support all iOS device models and the recent iOS version 16. You can use it with no scruples.Key Features of Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker:
- Bypass 4 kinds of screen locks easily
- With a clear interface and easy to operate
- Support nearly all models of iPhones, iPads, and iPods
- Safely factory reset locked iPhone without iTunes/iCloud/Finder
- Remove Apple ID and password from iPhone professionally
Step 1: Launch Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker
Firstly, go to download and install Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker on a computer. Then use a USB cable to connect your locked iPhone to the computer. When it successful finishes connection, proceed with the "Unlock iOS Screen" section.
Step 2: Set iPhone into Recovery Mode
Follow the steps stated on the screen to set your iPhone into recovery mode. Suppose it fails to enter recovery mode, click the link in the same window to change to put the iPhone into DFU mode. Once you completes setting device status, click on the right-arrow to continue.
Step 3: Download and Verify Firmware Package
When your iPhone successfully gets into recovery mode or DFU mode, the program will recognize the related info about it. You have to confirm and then click the Download button to download and verify the latest firmware packaged for your device.
Step 4: Unlock iPhone without Knowing Passcode
Lastly, click on the Unlock button to unzip the firmware package. Once done, Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker start to unlock your iPhone. Wait for the process and after that, you can set up new passcode on your device.
Part 4. How to Back up iPhone before Resetting
How to unlock iPhone with iTunes without erasing data? Unfortunately, you won't have any chance to keep your iPhone data while using iTunes to remove iPhone passcode. However, you could make a backup of your iPhone before restoring it. Then you can retrieve your content when the restoring process is complete. Here's how to use iTunes to make a copy of your iPhone data in advance.
- Step 1. Plug your iPhone into your computer then launch iTunes.
- Step 2. Click your device sign in the iTunes and go to the Summary tab.
- Step 3. To start a backup, click the Back Up Now button under "Backups" on the Summary screen. This backup will be stored locally on your computer.
That's all! After checking out solutions here, you'll know how to unlock iPhone with iTunes. If you don't want to lose your iPhone data, you can back up your iPhone with iTunes before restoring it. Beyond that, you can erase your iPhone by using iCloud or directly clear up your iPhone, thus you can set up new passcode. Using Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker is an efficient way that helps you in removing the iPhone screen passcode. Have a try and you'll find it out.