Q:"Try to update my iPhone 6s but it is frozen during the process. Any help?" - from Apple Community
Apple regularly releases new iOS version to improve performance and offer new features. Usually at this time, many Apple users could hardly wait to update their iPhone operating system to the latest version to enjoy these new services. But as reported, there are times when users update their iPhone software, they run into an unexpected issue that the iPhone gets frozen. Suppose this is what you are experiencing, please set your mind at rest and check out 3 viable solutions to iPhone frozen during update presented in this article.
- Part 1: Why Is iPhone Frozen During iOS Update
- Part 2: 3 Solutions to iPhone Frozen During Update
- Solution 1: iOS System Recovery (No Data Loss)
- Solution 2: Force Restart iPhone
- Solution 3: Restore iPhone in Recovery Mode
- Part 3: How to Protect iPhone from Being Frozen During Update
Part 1. What Causes iPhone to Get Frozen During Update
It is not rare that iPhone is frozen during the update process, which can result from numerous circumstances. Below list several typical reasons. Prior to taking measures, you are suggested to have a closer look.
1. Poor network connection while updating iPhone software. You have to ensure the iPhone network to be stable in order to keep the process smooth going.
2. Less storage space left in the iPhone. Before downloading and installing an iOS update, please free up enough space to accommodate it.
3. The hardware issue or crashing software causes your iPhone to be overheated, thereby leading the iPhone to freeze during downloading the latest firmware.
4. In most cases, iPhone system failures should be blamed when iPhone is frozen during an iOS update. Many users who have experienced the same issue point it out.
Part 2. 3 Methods to Fix iPhone Frozen During Update
Here are 3 easy and efficient solutions to iPhone frozen problem during update. The first one guarantees a 100% success and won't cause data loss; the second one is free and highly simple to operate but sometimes it is out of action; the last one can fix the frozen iPhone but meanwhile all iPhone data will be completely wiped.
Step 1: Download the installation package of Joyoshare UltFix from Joyoshare download page. After installing it on your computer, please run it and use a lightening USB cable to connect your iPhone with your computer. Once the iPhone is detected successfully, proceed by clicking "Start";
Step 2: This window will show you two repair modes. You need to choose one of them to repair your frozen iPhone. Generally, you are advised to select standard mode first, for it causes no data loss in the process;
Step 3: Click your iPhone model icon to enter the next interface, in which you should manually set the iPhone into DFU mode as instructed on the screen. In case the iPhone can't enter DFU mode, then put it into recovery mode by clicking the link;
Step 4: After that, confirm your iPhone info recognized by the program. Please make sure everything is right. Next, press on "Download" to have the latest firmware package downloaded and verified;
Step 5: Finally, you have to touch the "Repair" icon to unzip the firmware package. Soon afterwards, this iOS system recovery software is going to fix your frozen iPhone.
Note: You needn't update your iPhone after repair, because the iPhone has been updated to the latest version during the process.
Method 1: Try Joyoshare UltFix iOS System Recovery Software
As has been explained in the part 1, the frozen iPhone during update problem is, in all likelihood, caused by the iPhone system glitches. On this occasion, the best solution is to use a technical iOS system recovery program, for one, Joyoshare UltFix. It is developed by Joyoshare to expressly repair any system issues on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and even Apple TVs.
Provided with two repair modes including standard mode and advanced mode, it can be applicable to various possible situations, such as iPhone won't turn on, iPhone won't update, iPhone keeps crashing, and iPhone is disabled, etc. What counts for much is that standard mode can resolve common iOS issues without any data loss. This is also the greatest strength of the program.
Key Features of Joyoshare UltFix iOS System Recovery:
Offer two repair modes to boost repair success
Repair frozen iPhone problem with no data loss
Work well with almost all iOS devices and iOS 13
Make any iOS device enter/exit recovery mode for free
Method 2: Force Reboot iPhone
Force restarting iPhone is another simple remedy for the matter of iPhone frozen during update. In some ordinary cases, this method is frequently used. But you should note that it can not guarantee one-off success. If you don't pursue a quick solution, you might have a try.
The steps will differ in different iPhone models:
iPhone 6 and former: Press and hold the Power and Home buttons for about 10 seconds until the Apple logo shows.
iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: Keep holding down the Power button and Volume Down button at the same time until the white Apple logo appears.
iPhone 8 and later: Press the Volume Up button and quickly release it. Then do the same with Volume Down button. Afterward, hold down the Power button until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
Method 3: Restore iPhone in Recovery Mode with iTunes
Suppose you aren't willing to have the aid of a third-party tool but restarting iPhone doesn't give you a desired result, attempt to put the iPhone into recovery mode and then connect to iTunes to restore it to factory settings. This action is efficient in settling the iPhone frozen during update problem, although data loss is accompanied. If that's all right with you, do as follows to get the issue done.
Step 1: Firstly, boot your iPhone into recovery mode by clicking the text link;
Step 2: Secondly, run iTunes and connect the iPhone with your computer;
Step 3: When iTunes detects the iPhone in recovery mode, it will show you a window, in which you need tap the "Restore" icon to fix your frozen iPhone.
Part 3. Tips to Avoid iPhone to Be Frozen During Update
Do the following to lessen the possibility of occurrence of iPhone frozen during update issue. Try not to make some avoidable problems happen.
1. It is better to back up your iPhone at regular intervals. Like that, you needn't worry about losing data when clearing up iPhone to free up internal storage space.
2. Before updating iPhone, please make sure that your iPhone connected network is in good condition.
3. Keep all installed application on your iPhone the recent version to avoid the possibility that corrupted apps lead to the issue.
4. Don't use your iPhone while plugging to the power supply to keep the battery healthy.
5. Besides, please keep your iPhone from conditions of high temperatures and exposure to direct sunlight.