Q: What're the possible ways to trim an MP3 file on a Mac? Please give me some suggestions. Thanks in advance! - John White from Quora
There are a lot of reasons that you may want to trim MP3 on Mac. For example, trim a beloved song and keep the most exciting part to make it as a ringtone; cut the large audio files into smaller ones so as to save the space of your computer; or slice off the useless portion of your file and share it with friends easily. No matter what reason it might be, what you need is a powerful yet easy-to-use Mac MP3 trimmer. Just as John asked, you may also on the way to look for possible solutions. In this article, we'll share best 5 ones so that you can have more options to consider.
- Part 1. Joyoshare VidiKit
- Part 2. QuickTime Player
- Part 3. iTunes
- Part 4. Bundled GarageBand
- Part 5. Audacity for Free
Part 1. How to Trim MP3 on Mac - Joyoshare VidiKit for Mac
If you want to trim your MP3 music files on Mac in high quality, here I highly recommend Joyoshare VidiKit for Mac. It's a smart and professional audio video cutter and editor that enables you to trim any MP3 and other media file with 100% original quality preserved at a lightning-fast speed. You can cut the MP3 file in the millisecond precision level. Besides, the real-time preview is available, so you can pre-hear the audio file every time you made a change.
Besides MP3 format, the program also supports various other audio formats including WAV, OGG, AAC, AC3, FLAC, AIFF, M4R, AU, MKA, WMA, APE, M4A, etc. You can also output the trimmed audio file into other popular mobile devices like iPhone, iPod touch, Samsung Galaxy, Windows Phone, Android Generic, Blackberry, etc. Moreover, this Joyoshare MP3 trimmer also offers you options to edit the file as you like, such as apply special sound effects to your song, add new background music to your recordings, etc.
Key Features of Joyoshare VidiKit:
Trim MP3 on Mac without quality loss
Cut and convert MP3 at 60X faster speed
Export polished MP3 file in various formats and devices
Pre-hear the MP3 file during the whole process
Step 1 Add an MP3 file to Joyoshare VidiKit
Go to the download page and choose Joyoshare VidiKit to download and install the app on your Mac. It will take you a few minutes to complete the installation, and then launch Joyoshare VidiKit. Click the "Open" button to import the MP3 file you want to trim or simply drag the target file and drop it to Joyoshare.
Step 2 Set the cutting segments
Drag the handles to determine the starting point and end point, or manually enter the specific starting time and end time. You're also allowed to trim MP3 on Mac in the edit window by clicking the edit icon next to the file and do the same operation. You need to hit the Scissors icon to finish cutting the file. Then press the "OK" button to close the window.
Note: If you want to add more clips from the same source, then cut and merge them together, you can click the "+" button and then tick the "Merge Segments" box to combine the audio clips losslessly.
Step 3 Select the output mode
Then click the "Format" button, and there are two output modes that you can choose. Here we highly recommend you to select the "High-speed mode" to trim and convert your MP3 file in a fast speed if you only do the basic trimming. Otherwise, you should choose the "Encoding mode" to customize your audio file quality, bit rate, codec, etc. Then press the "OK" button to shut down the window.
Step 4 Start to trim MP3 on Mac
After all the settings are done, now it's time to click the "Start" button to trim an MP3 on your Mac. Wait a few seconds and then get your trimmed MP3 file from the destination folder of your computer.
Part 2. How to Trim MP3 on Mac - QuickTime Player
If you download want to download and install any software in your Mac, you can probably go to Apple's QuickTime Player for help, which every Mac users have. QuickTime Player can also works well as an MP3 trimmer, and cutting an MP3 with this Mac MP3 trimmer can also be pretty easily:
1. Import MP3 music file. Launch QuickTime Player and then go for "File" > "Open File", or just drag the MP3 file you'd like to trim to the program;
2. Trim MP3 file. Go to the "Edit" > "Trim", and then move the yellow sliders to decide the length you desire. Press the playing button to confirm whether it's the right clip you want. If you're happy with it, click the yellow "Trim" button on the top right corner;
3. Save the file. Go to "File" > "Save As/ Export" to save the audio file in M4R format or others as you like.
See also: How to Trim Video Clips with QuickTime
Part 3. How to Trim MP3 on Mac - iTunes
Pre-installed on your Mac, iTunes is a useful tool. It serves as a media player and media library to help manage your music and movies at great ease. Now this default app is also available to cut MP3 on Mac by customizing its start and stop times.
1. Run iTunes on Mac and import MP3 file using "File" > "Add File to Library...";
2. Play MP3 audio in iTunes and right-click "Get Info" > "Options";
3. Choose "Start Time" and "Stop Time" checkbox respectively, and type in the specific time you want;
4. Press "OK" to confirm the trimmed MP3, select "Advanced" > "Create AAC Version" from iTunes menu, then save it using "Convert to MP3".
See also: How to Trim Music in iTunes
Part 4. How to Trim MP3 on Mac - GarageBand
Another bundled software in your Mac that can be used to trim MP3 file is GarageBand. Actually it is a useful music creation studio and it can be a nice choice when choosing an MP3 trimmer for Mac. Now follow the quick steps below to see how to trim MP3 on Mac in GarageBand:
1. Open GarageBand on the computer. Choose an "Empty Project" panel and select an MP3 file from iTunes library to be trimmed;
2. Move your mouse to the right position you like. When the cursor becomes a line with arrows, simply click, hold and drag it to trim the MP3 file;
3. Click the playing button to listen to the trimmed clip, if you're satisfied with it, press the "Share" > "Export Song to Disk" to save the file in MP3, AAC, AIFF, etc.
Part 5. How to Cut MP3 on Mac - Audacity
Of course, you can also trim an MP3 file on Mac with the free open-source audio editing tool - Audacity. Just get the free download of the program from the Internet, and you can easily trim MP3 in Audacity as below:
1. Run Audacity and go to the "File" > "Open" to import the desired MP3 file. Click the "Selection Tool" icon to make it active;
2. Move your mouse to get a specific area you desire. You can press the "View" > "Enlarge" to confirm whether it is just what you need;
3. Now click the "Cut" button to trim MP3 in Audacity. Remember to press the "Stop" button to stop playing before cutting the file, since you're unable to edit it when it is playing.
See also: How to Cut Audio in Audacity