With the early release of iOS 17 Beta and iPadOS 17 Beta, you may be eager to explore new features on your device. However, the beta firmware would always not work as expected. You probably have experienced different kinds of bugs and issues after updating to iOS 17 Beta, such as apps crashing, incompatibility issues, malfunctioning device, and others. Fortunately, you could roll back your iPhone or iPad to the previous iOS version. This guide will demonstrate the corresponding methods to downgrade iOS 17 Beta to iOS 16. Keep reading to grasp the ways.
- Part 1. How to Downgrade iOS 17 Beta to iOS 16
- Option 1: Using iTunes/Finder
- Option 2. Using Joyoshare iOS Downgrade Tool [Safe & Quick & No Jailbreak]
- Part 2. Bonus Tip: How to Backup iPhone Before Downgrading
- Part 3. Conclusion
Part 1. How to Downgrade iOS 17 Beta to iOS 16
There is something you need to know before downgrading iOS 17 Beta. Your backup won’t be restored during this process and the device can experience data loss. Thus, it is necessary to manually back up your data in advance. If you are not familiar with how to make backups, you can skip to Part 3 and learn how it’s done.
1. Using iTunes/Finder
iTunes is an official software that can be used to downgrade your iPhone to the original version on Windows. For Mac Catalina and later, Finder plays the same role. Before downgrading, make sure Find My iPhone feature is disabled. You can go to Settings → Apple ID → Find My and toggle it off. And a strong Internet is an important prerequisite to ensure the desired result.
- Step 1: Go to IPSW Downloads and download iOS 16 firmware package first.
- Step 2: Start iTunes or Finder and make sure your iPhone is connected to the computer. Then locate the tiny iPhone icon.
- Step 3: Then you are required to put your iPhone into recovery mode and iTunes or Finder would detect your iPhone if it enters successfully.
- iPhone 8 or later (including iPhone SE): Press & release the Volume Up button, then press & release the Volume Down button quickly. Keep pressing the Side button until the screen shows the icon of recovery mode.
- Phone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus: You need to press two buttons at the same time － Volume Down button and Top (or Side) button. Just keep holding them until the recovery mode screen comes out.
- iPhone 6s or earlier (including iPhone SE): You need to keep pressing another two buttons simultaneously, which are Home button and Top (or Side) button. Then you could release them until your device shows the recovery mode screen.
- Step 4: In iTunes, press and hold the Shift key and choose Restore iPhone. Then a new window would appear and you can find the IPSW file you have just downloaded. Simply select that file and click Open. In Finder, you need to press Option key and select Restore iPhone to locate IPSW file.
- Step 5: Another popup would show up to confirm your operation. You can choose Restore after checking. Then iTunes or Finder will finish the job and wait patiently.
Note: If iPhone is not responsive after following the instruction to enter recovery mode, don’t worry. Joyoshare UltFix offers a free service to put your iOS device in and out of recovery mode with one click. You just need to connect your device with the computer and click Enter/Exit Recovery Mode, and it will complete the process in a few seconds.
2. Using Joyoshare iOS Downgrade Tool [Safe & Quick & No Jailbreak]
Is your iPhone still not in recovery mode? Or don’t want to take much time reverting to the previous iOS 16 version? Joyoshare UltFix is able to seamlessly switch software versions with ease. With this iOS downgrade tool, you can download IPSW file and enter recovery mode in simple clicks. And you could safely move your iPhone to the stable iOS 16 version without jailbreak. It is easy to downgrade to unsigned iOS as well. What’s more, this tool offers an upgrading feature with no data loss. You are capable of upgrading and downgrading your device quickly without iTunes. Besides, Joyoshare UltFix is proficient in fixing iOS system problems like being stuck on recovery mode or black screen. It is a reliable option when it comes to any iOS glitches.
Step 1 Connect iPhone to Joyoshare UltFix
Run the tool on your computer and connect your iPhone to it. On the main interface, you need to click Upgrade/Downgrade iOS, followed by iOS Downgrade.
Step 2 Download Firmware Package
Joyoshare UltFix will auto-detect your device. You are able to see all the available iOS versions on the interface. Select the version you want and click the Download button to download the firmware package.
Step 3 Downgrade iOS 17 Beta to iOS 16
When the firmware has been downloaded successfully, you can click Start Downloaded to restore your iPhone to iOS 16.
Part 2. Bonus Tip: How to Back Up iPhone Before Downgrading
It is advisable to back up your iPhone as downgrading will erase the data. Here are two different ways to create backups of your data.
1. Back Up iPhone via iCloud
iCloud is a good option to keep your data safe. It would sync files and back up your iPhone automatically. However, it provides only 5 GB of free storage, which means you need to purchase additional storage to back up all your data.
- Step 1: Go to Settings app and click your Apple ID.
- Step 2: On your ID screen, you need to press iCloud.
- Step 3: Then click iCloud Backup option and choose Back Up Now. Your iPhone would start to create a backup.
2. Back Up iPhone via iTunes
Another quick way to save your precious data is through iTunes on the computer. If you use Mac, you could back up via Finder. The operation procedures are consistent.
- Step 1: Make sure you have installed iTunes (or Finder) on your computer. Start by plugging your iPhone into the computer.
- Step 2: Find and click the iPhone icon in the top left corner. Then go to Summary section.
- Step 3: In Backups section, choose This Computer. Next, click Back Up Now and enter your password on iPhone to verify the command.
Part 3. Conclusion
Already lots of iPhone users are looking for solutions to downgrade from the iOS 17 Beta to iOS 16 as its instability issue. Now, I believe you have a clear sense of how to do that. You can either use iTunes (Finder on Mac) or Joyoshare UltFix iOS downgrade tool to downgrade your iOS version with efficiency. Maybe you can update your iPhone again when this new version is publicly available and explore features without glitches.